Regulations (in English)

Hi !

I'm Istvan Razso, a member of a new Hungarian club, the Hungarian Kit Car Club. I can't speak Swedish, so I ask for some help in English.

Our club is for people in Hungary who want to build and use kit cars, custom cars and modified cars.

Unfortunately the present law in our country does not allow the usage of such a car. Probably Hungary is the only country in the EU with such regulations.

We are interested in what regulations exists in Sweden.

We know, that in the UK the SVA (Single Vehicle Approval) process defines the criteras of getting the MOT.

Can you send me links to Swedish regulations (in English if possible) ?

Can you write a short explanation of the official process ?

E.g.: What kind of inspections has to be done on the car ?

Thanks for help!

We hope we can drive our cars soon!

Istvan Razso

Hello, and welcome!

I do not know of any official documents written in english that describes the regulations for home built vehicles in sweden, but I can tell you something about how it works. To get a so-called amateur built vehicle approved for road use in sweden, the vehicle has to go through three tests. The first two are handled by SFRO, which is (in translation) The Swedish Vehicle builders National Organization (or something to that effect). This organization was founded by enthusistasts and hobbyists and has got vehicle inspectors in all parts of our country.

The first inspection shall be done when all important structures of the vehicle are finished, such as the frame, suspension, steering, fuel tank, braking system and engine mounts. The frame should not be painted so that all weldments can be easily seen. The point is to assure that the overall construction is sound and fail-safe.

The second is made when the vehicle is completely built and ready for the road. The entire vehicle is gone through once again. Then the inspector does a test drive. Brakes, and the overall road worthiness is checked.

The third check point is Svensk Bilprovning (Swedish Car Testing) which is the official institution where you get your old car gets tested every year, and new cars are inspected to get their registration. This is mainly about checking that all laws and rules are being followed. The lights should be in the right places etc. We do not have that much emphasis on measuring radius of details (for protecting pedestrians at a collision etc) as they have in Britain.

This was just from the top of my head, but I have not even started building yet so others may have correct or fill in details if there is something I missed. :)

The third check point is Svensk Bilprovning (Swedish Car Testing) which is the official institution where you get your old car gets tested every year, and new cars are inspected to get their registration.

Their website with info in english

http://www.bilprovningen.se/externt/bpweb....pweb/In_English

Thanks for the information !

Now we have an overview of the Swedish procedure. Having the first two inspections done by an independent organization of enthusiasts sounds reasonable and affordable.

What kind of fees do you have to pay for the inspections ?

I'll also check the Svensk Bilprovning website for more info and contact.

Scamel

Thanks for the information !

Now we have an overview of the Swedish procedure. Having the first two inspections done by an independent organization of enthusiasts sounds reasonable and affordable.

What kind of fees do you have to pay for the inspections ?

I'll also check the Svensk Bilprovning website for more info and contact.

Scamel

Total sum of fees for inspections and registraitions is auround 700 Euros.