R1 Besikting help

Mini craig

Hi all,

I have had a good look around your forum, and there seems to be lots of interesting things going on!

Unfortunately I dont own a locost or similar. I actually own a classic mini. I am planning a build of a second mini, featuring a r1 engine, mounted in the front and driving the front wheels.

I should also point out that i cant write Swedish, I am a Scot living here!

Anyway back to the mini build; i have struggled to find a definitive answer on whether I will be able to reg besiktning or get the car through a SFRO check with an r1 engine. SO i though i might try my luck here (as you seem to be well informed).

Has anyone managed to get their car with an R1 through a reg besiktning? or even SFRO.

I have spoken to SFRO, but they where very vague, to whether the car would pass or not. now i dont want to spend 150, 000 Kr building the car for it not to pass, so any advice would be helpful.

Many thanks

Craig

Regarding the engine, the only thing that matters is the power to weight ratio. 15 kw / 100 kg is the general rule. The R1 has between 110 and 139 kW, depending on age. So the car has to weigh 733 to 927 kg (when you weigh it :icon_oops: )

I think SFRO gave you a vauge answer becouse it's not only the engine (power to weigt) that matters, it's a lot more, material in the chassis, welding quality and so on.

This is a Mini with a R1 engine, and it's byggbesiktigad :)

http://rejsa.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51562&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Then there is the question wether youre gonna make an amateurbuilt/amatörbyggd or modified vehicle/ombyggt fordon. :)

Or simply an engine swap, altough i dont think its possible, maybe im wrong here?

Arent there any translations considering SFRO rules around the web?

Edited by Kilkenny

I just put my car through the SFRO due to an engine swap, in my case it was from a Pinto 80kW to a Zetec 101kW.

I had to do the SFRO2 again and if you make any changes to the exhaust you might need to make a new sound/noise test. My car weigh approximate 640kg+driver and passenger 75kg(?), an idea was to add weightlifting discs under the seats but it wasnt necessary. According to the Bilprovning it was a close call on the weight.

The sad part is the cost... :

SFRO 2: 2000kr (half due to only engine upgrade)

Noise test: 1250kr (i didnt need it).

Bilprovningen: 940kr (registreringsbesiktning, change on amatörbyggt fordon).

Weighing: 300kr

Kontrollbesiktning (not allways necessary): 300kr

Total: 4790kr (in worst case).

Good luck

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys!

I am aware of the power to weight ratio. I think that the mini should weigh around 700 - 850kg, which is pretty border line regarding the SFRO rules.

The kit in question is - http://www.pro-motive.co.uk/R1KitInfo.html

Apart from the engine, the only other major modification to the mini is a change in front subframe. All mini suspension etc are retained.

Do you think this is will be an amatörbyggd or ombyggt fordon?

I have been following that mini build, its extreme. I wouldn't be attempting anything close to that!

700-850Kg sounds much (without weights), my Mini is 700Kg and thats with the cast iron A-series engine and the engine bay stuffed with Turbo etc..

(3500£ for a subframe, revers gearbox and a exhaust manifold is alot of money...)

I think it would qualify as a "ombyggt fordon", but im not sure, you better ask SFRO.

(My Mini is registerd with other engine, brakes etc.. and about 100hp (back then the limit was 10kw/100Kg))

Edited by Jonas

• 3 weeks later...

My Locost is road legal with a injected R1 engine (5PW) from -02/-03. When you weight it must be the correct but of course it could not harm to make it lighter afterwards..